Plan YOUR Work!

Work YOUR Plan!

Don't tell me where your priorities are.

Show me where you spend your money and I'll tell you what they are.

-James W. Frick

Friday, June 22, 2012

Barters Up: Is Bartering the New Credit?

My best friend and I have the most interesting conversations. We talk about everything imagionable within an 8 hour workday. Someone on the outside would be so confused. I am, too, sometimes. Anyway...she told me about a show she had watched about bartering. See. Random.

Of course, I love the idea of the show. Using the barter system to get stuff. Bartering is like credit, but better. You don't have to give someone money for something. You give them stuff you have that they want, that you have. Stuff you don't want, anyway.

The concept isn't new. Before everyone used money they didn't have or credit to get things, they used things they have or things they can do to get things. It was perfect...

If you needed someone to fix the hole in your roof...you found someone who knows how or you found someone that knows someone that knows someone who needs something you have or can do. Got it?

Wanna know more? See what good old Wikipedia has to say...

Barter is a method of exchange by which goods or services are directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange, such as money. It is usually bilateral, but may be multilateral, and usually exists parallel to monetary systems in most developed countries, though to a very limited extent. Barter usually replaces money as the method of exchange in times of monetary crisis, such as when the currency may be either unstable (e.g., hyperinflation or deflationary spiral) or simply unavailable for conducting commerce.


So back to this conversation about the show, Barter Kings on A&E. My friend told me about a section of her favorite website...Craigslist...for bartering. Next thing I know she puts up an ad. This gave me a great idea, at least I think so.

I am going to follow in the footsteps of the Red Paperclip Guy One Red Paper Clip . I decided to take something's around my house and some of things I know how to do to see how far I can take it. I am calling it...Barters Up. Creative, right?

My Experiement:

I want to see just what I can get for the items I have to offer. I am starting with an old Xbox and my collection of basketball cards. I can't really think of anything I need, so I'm leaving the offers open.

Here are my FIRST posts:




So far, I have gotten a couple inquiries but nothing serious.

Let's what happens...

Try it out and let me know what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment